Friday, August 15, 2008

Home Sweet Home


My Big Backyard



The Bush Plane



A view of the cockpit


After a month and a half of living out of a suitcase, I’m finally home. My stomach turned yesterday afternoon as we left Dillingham, knowing full well that it would be the last time I would be able to get the necessities of life with little consequence.

We were shuttled to the airport in a big blue van that pulled directly up to the plane. No security, no tickets, no checkpoints, nothing. It was a $60.00 per person “taxi” ride, which we paid upon arrival into Manokotak. No tip expected or even accepted. I asked.

Bouter, our pilot, and "the best pilot around" (only gone down once) met us on the runway. He was all business...wearing old tennis shoes, sweat pants that hung a quarter of the way down his full moon, and a dirty t-shirt. He hurried us into the plane calling out orders while unloading each item from our box of food into the front compartment of the plane. I didn’t ask questions as he ranted about the “idiots” at the grocery store who put the food into a box that was too big. Cans of tomatoes, noodles and dried milk were all flung into the small compartment. Once we were loaded (or overloaded), all six of us, including Bouter piled in. As we speed down the runway, Bouter yelled back, “Everybody know the safety procedure?” “No,” I yelled from behind. “Follow me!” he cackled. And we were out.

8 comments:

Sawbill Crew said...

Lida - You're an inspiration. I've been poking around the Teach in Alaska web site, and Jessa and I have been daydreaming about following you up there. We miss you down here in the lower 48 bush. Great party at the Greensmiths last night complete with a guest appearance of Ruthie.
Rock on,
Frosty

Max said...

Speaking of the Greensmiths, it sounds like the lifestyle of a bush pilot is just about perfect for Lefty. Besides Sawbill, for what other job does wearing sagging sweatpants commando constitute acceptable work attire?

Ang said...

Oh...is Bouter kinda like Grizzly Adams?

Lida said...

Bouter is NOTHING like Grizzly Adams. Thank God.

Lida said...

Max, you're absolutely right. Greener would be a shoo-in for the job. I can see it now...Pinnacle hat, Bemidji State sweats...safety and comfort (Greener) at the helm.

dutchnut said...

Hey Lida! That is truly amazing--- God's country! HAve you met the students yet? How are the classrooms/ supplies/ etc? What about your accomodations? MO

Anonymous said...

Hey Lida....How r you? The children of Alaska r lucky to have u. I just read the blog about the spawning salmon...wow the colors were beautiful. I was just thinking about you...we had a great time at BOCA CHICA...Iam still thinking about the steak...anyhow you r in my thoughts...see u later lol ...btw are you able to acess myspace or facebook?

wendy said...

Ha ahahahahhaha. Grizzly Adams. How is he???

Bouter sounds awesome!!

Lida, I love your blog! Thanks for doing it!

I miss you, how are the boots?