Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lamenting Ridiculously Convienient Times

Just steps from my apartment in New York. At this 'one stop shop' you can get fruit and buy a new skirt.

Packing is hard. Especially when the closest Target, Walgreen's or anything similar will be 350 miles away. Not exactly convenient. I can adjust to living without my morning street vendor coffee (light with cream and Splenda, ready for me as the clock strikes 6:32), but what about when I run out of dry milk or drop my toothbrush in the toilet? What happens when I need to cook myself dinner and I don't have half the ingredients? For sustenance, should I just resort to Twinkies and Mac n' Cheese to supplement the local fish and walrus? My confusion has been compounded having spent the last two years in New York City, where anything and everything is available anytime, giving me no recent practice with modern household needs, particularly cooking needs. I've got some brown rice, dried beans, green curry and some granola with me. Self inflicted tough love?

5 comments:

Sara said...

Oh my gosh. You're crazy. I guess I would just pack a bunch of canned goods, boxed goods (like the mac & cheese), and beef jerky. The funny thing is, this list of items sounds like my "earthquake disaster supply kit". I guess, for us, living in the bush would be like a natural disaster. Ai-yi-yi. You're crazy.

Anonymous said...

Lida, I don't think you are crazy... you have the essentials. Granola and Yoga boot camp. You'll be fine.... you hippy you!

Ms. Anne said...

This is such an exciting adventure. I was just talking to my good friend in the Bronx today and she asked me if I had given up on NYC after living in Madison, Wi. I thought about that Love/Hate relationship I had developed after living in Spanish Harlem for 2 years. All I know is that I could never move back there to live permanently. I am sure you might feel the same way. I know that my motto is: "Life begins where your comfort zone ends." I was reading your posts and thinking how much I love the field of education. You can go all around the world teaching and learning. It is a beautiful thing. I'm glad you sent me the link to your blog! It makes me want to travel...1 more year of coursework here and then I'll be in your shoes...free and off hte grid!!! Keep posting!

dutchnut said...

Well, Lida! NYC weill always be here but the wilderness may not! HAve fun, be strong and BE CAREFUL, MAureen Howard

Tina May said...

Well if it's your Auntie Amy's granola it's not tough love. That stuff is the bomb.

So glad you are blogging!