Friday, October 24, 2008

"Store Plane, Store Plane, Store Plane!"

This WWII fighter plane, continues a noble legacy of delivering fruits and veggies to an otherwise produce-less community. It is affectionately referred to as "store plane" or more accurately, "store plane!"

A produce deal goes down on the landing strip

We bought a bag of apples and a bag of oranges for $40.00. They are worth every last cent.

As I've mentioned before, we don't have any stores here in Manokotak. Most of our food is ordered in bulk, hunted, caught or traded. Once a month (approximately) a larger than usual plane circles the village, thereby notifying everyone that the produce plane is about to land. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the entire community stops what they are doing to haul a*& out to the landing strip to get the first crack at a very random selection of fruit, ice cream, chips and pop.

Last night, (during parent-teacher conferences) was no exception. When the the twin tail, WWII fighter plane was heard circling overhead, there was a mas exodus of snowsuits and 4-wheelers racing toward the airport. A few minutes later the principal announced that the school van was leaving for the store plane and we were all free to go. Nobody can compete with the store plane. Obviously.

This is bush Alaska.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I love it. So funny. I can just imagine the whole town shutting down for the store plane.

wendy said...

$40.00? That better be organic. Damn.

This is entertaining. I can't imagine getting excited about a store plane...but if there is ice cream on it - I am totally excited!

Unknown said...

Lida -
The entertainment never stops. I LOVE your posts, descriptions of life there, and of course your keen observations. Miss you! - Laura Greensmith
ps. "Gaerf" is Jeff - don't ask!

Grandma Kim said...

Hi Lida
We miss you and since we are going to California for XMas we will miss you again.Angie said you two had a great time together!! Hope to see you some time soon. Our little Adam and Abby would like to meet you some day!!!!
Stay warm
Love you Kiddo Kim and Lee XO