On Tuesday, I had to go to the dentist in Dillingham. Since everyone else was working, I went alone. It was my first sixty mile solo journey by snowmobile. I had two big scares.
Scare #1: Crossing the river because it was early and the tide was coming in, so water was gushing through the deep cracks along the banks of the river. After I crossed I had to stop to get my heart rate under control and call the school secretary on the radio, because she was more nervous about me going than I was.
Scare #2: Returning home, because visability was zero. Normally, the mountains can be used as really good guide, but they can't be used if they don't exist.
Essentials:
VHF Radio - The whole village stays on channel 68, great for communication, even better for emergencies.
GPS - I would never, ever travel alone, without a GPS and extra batteries. Never.
Go-bag - Filled with tools, matches, a compass, map, food and some extra clothing. Because you just never know howl long you'll actually be out. I think I learned this the hard way once.
3 comments:
I'm with your secretary -- scared sh*tless for you. WOW! I need to tune my radio to channel 68 to be sure you're OK.
Congratulations on your contract!
Nicely done! First solo trip was a success!
Congrats on the contract! Looks like you'll be making another birthday turkey next year...I miss you and can't wait to see you next week!!
Congrats on the contract Lida! That's awesome you are staying another year...those kids deserve you!
And, your journey is scaring me as well. You did all that for a teeth cleaning? I'm am sure I wouldn't cross a river, escape death and journey with a pack like that for a visit to the dentist!
I admire you.
Post a Comment