Friday, December 18, 2009

Only in Alaska!

I ended up leaving Manokotak one day early because there were no other flights available in time to catch my flight from Anchorage to Seattle to Denver on Saturday morning. So I left on Thursday after school. Luckily, I made it in time to catch the last flight from Dillingham to Anchorage. On the flight I sat next to a woman who is affiliated with the Bristol Bay Native Corporation (BBNC). We had some good, interesting conversation on the plane about Native life and bush-village living, subsistence, grants and the future of the villages.

Arriving in Anchorage with my two most unpredictable and stressful flights behind me, I'd hoped I could fly standby to Denver, CO, my first destination. As it turned out there were 38 other people on the list so I'd be stuck in Anchorage until my original flight leaves early Saturday morning. At the baggage claim, I told my seat mate the bad news. I had already called a hotel, but she insisted, more than a few times that I stay with her in her already paid for room, through the BBNC.

We arrived at the hotel, a suit, BUT when we walked in I realized there was only one bed. That's right, I'm sharing a king sized bed with a stranger. I'm still alive.

Only in Alaska.

3 comments:

Ang said...

Only in Alaska would someone be willing to go to a stranger's suite with them...seriously Lids! I love this story. Here's hoping that you're still alive tomorrow to get on your flight!!

Sara said...

What? You did WHAT? Oh my .... Oh my ...

Tina May said...

I hope you got good and drunk before you snuggled in for the evening...