Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Gingerbread House-off

The neighborhood

Brian and Kirsten get points for detail. Look at Santa and his sleigh, and the angel atop the tree! All made from dots. Ridiculous, right?

Jeff and Andy get serious points for the slanted roof. Their construction was undoubtedly the best. They earn credit for detail as well. Look at the manger and the four-wheeler on the side of the house. They also wanted to appeal to the lady viewers with the heart seen in the neighborhood picture. Minus points for looking like a Christmas bomb went off in their front yard.

This is my adobe structure. Unfortunately, Whitney, my partner had to come late and leave early. And athough I lacked the manger and the tiny details, I think I get points for the neatness and completion the others lacked. Plus, I have snow-go out front and a skating rink.

With little to entertain ourselves besides one another, our regular weekly (sanity) activities include card night, movie night, interactive pizza night, and of course the regular hikes and snow excursions. These regular plans have been especially important as we anticipate our first departures from the area since our arrivals in July. As the holiday approaches, we've added more interesting activities. This week after weeks of anticipation and antagonizing each other - and my cousin Ang sending us two boxes of gingerbread supplies, we finally were able to convene for some healthy (high stakes) gingerbread competition.

The most important rules were:

1. Supplies are distributed as equally as possible into three groups. Straws are then drawn matching each team to his/her supply basket.

2. All parts must be edible. If the object is called into question both group members must consume the object. (Jeff used a wrapper as a window, which resulted in the only minor choking scare of the night).

And you thought your life was uneventful.

3 comments:

wendy said...

This is the best blog ever written in history. Not only are your gingerbread houses ALL amazing, they are by far the best works of art, ever. I love the manger, I love the christmas explosion...but of course, I think yours is the best, Lida. It was neat, and I love the M&M walkway. How much candy did you consume this night?

Ang said...

I also enjoyed that Jeff and Andy were the only two that had the foresight to fence in their yard...I mean, they wouldn't want the sketchy neighbors to come barging into their home whenever they feel like it!

So sad I wasn't there! My artistic abilities could have serioulsy helped!!

Adam, Abby, Ava, and Aliyah's Mom said...

Hands down, Lida, your house is the best. I voted for yours even before I read the blog. It was nice, neat and classy. Although, I did enjoy the Christmas bombed front yard. It reminded me of Starbucks. Why? Because when I go in the Starbucks near my house, it's all Christmas-y and the workers are all wearing Christmas gear .... sweaters, hats, necklaces, there is even one person who wears a Christmas tree broach. During the month of December, it feels like a Christmas bomb has gone off everywhere.