In this tiny community, I've formed friendships, deep friendships with a few people who, anywhere else I might not have. Unlike Minneapolis or New York, here I didn't get choices for friends, I got a handful of people who I've learned to accept and they've (fortunately) learned to accept me. We argue about politics, religion, education and life. We discuss news articles and watch movies, have game nights and convene for "interactive pizza night". We go fishing on weekends and set up camp at our nowhere spot where we roast hotdogs and compete to create the perfect snow lounger while laughing into the wee hours of the night. I know I can rely on them difficult situations and have been in a few where my life might have depended on them. These are people who had I met in almost any other situation I might have unconsciously dismissed as conflicting personalities. Thankfully, living here, we didn't have that choice.
We have only six weeks left, and while cabin fever might be beginning to set in, I am also at a bit of a loss. Sadly, I will return here next year not having the same companions and company who I will leave. Two of my best friends won't be returning. At first I felt heartbroken and sad, now I just feel lucky. Lucky to have had a year of practically impossible memories with people whose paths mine otherwise would not have crossed.
When our time is over here, I think we'll recall the sometimes hard and lonely times, but mostly, I think we'll all remember this dreamlike existence when we lived together in a community who accepted us like family, on a hill beneath a tiny mountain and we'll love every last memory. I already do.
3 comments:
You are lucky. In a place where there truly have been life and death situations, it's great that you have wonderful people you can depend on. I can't believe not everyone is coming back! I only have one serious question - who's going to dig out the fire pit next Thanksgiving for us?
Lida, this is sweet. I love you and miss you!
Awwww.... Leeds. That's so nice.
Ok. Now it's time for you to move too.
Post a Comment