Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Life and Travel



Friday December 19th school was called off early, an attempt to get all the teachers out before the weather worsened. I was fortunate enough to get out on time, but many were not so lucky. My friend Andy missed the wedding he was supposed to stand up in by several days and Whitney didn’t get back to Idaho until December 28th.

People often ask what the most difficult part about living in such an isolated community is, and sometimes I have a hard time coming up with an answer. It’s not the absence of stores, not the missing cell phone reception, it’s not life without restaurants, it’s not even the lack of fresh produce. Those are all things we can live without, we’ve just learned not to have to.

So as I flew over mountains, icy rivers and lakes, back to the comfort and ease of my simple life beneath a tiny mountain, back to a community where I am new and foreign, I remember how wonderful it feels to be with the people who know you better than anyone else on earth. And I can say for sure that’s what I miss the most.


Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures while home in Appleton, or in Minneapolis or in Chicago, but luckily, my friend Molly Breslin snapped hundreds of photos with her camera at Sawbill in Tofte, MN. Here are a few favorites.

We raced, and we lost both times. Take a look at the intensity of the pushers, or rather the intensity one of the pushers. Not my pusher.

Post pushing. The energy exertion by pushers does not appear to be equal.

I love that you can see and feel the speed and happiness. Jazmin, Kari, Liz, Dave and Caitlin cruise down the hill.
I love this picture because Clare is almost neck deep in snow, and because you can’t fake those huge smiles.

4 comments:

belindatb said...

Don't you think you were a little hard on your pusher? I really think he tried his hardest! Apparently, one must be extremely tall to be an effective pusher! Sledding at Sawbill is the best!

Lida said...

My pusher needs to turn on the heat. Just a little heat. Like that time he ran straight at a bear. That's the kind of heat I was hoping for. Next year.

Adam said...

Blaming your pusher? Come on, Lida. Everyone knows what cost you the race: poor sled management and lack of a competitive spirit. Pushers are irrelevant.

Lida said...

"Pushers are irrelevant" says the most invested pusher I've ever laid eyes on...