Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sweet Coat

This is my friend Nancy. Today as we were leaving for lunch she safeguarded herself against the frigid temperatures with this amazing work of art. I just happened to have my camera. I only wish I could have captured it's true beauty. Wow.

The jacket was made by her mothers cousin for her mother. It's made mostly of ground squirrels, some beaver, otter, and the fur around her face is wolf. I've been to Nancy's house a few times now, and inside there are lots of family photos displaying fur items. My favorites were the photos of her sons wearing their seal hats, a coveted possession and a symbol of status.
Each of those little red tails is squirrel fur that hangs for decoration. The jacket is sewn by hand connecting dozens of squirrel furs.

4 comments:

belindatb said...

I love the coat...but I like your vest even more! Green is such a great color on you.

Sara said...

The PETA people obviously don't make it to Alaska. She'd be covered in red paint if she wore that here .... she'd also be sweating. It was a balmy 78 degrees here yesterday.

Lida said...

PETA doesn't come here because they know they couldn't survive without a jacket like this.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have been following your blog and am considering teaching next year for SWRSD in Togiak. I would like to ask you some questions about the district etc. If your willing, please email me at 06ajsmit@alma.edu Thank you!

Andrew Smith